Italiano  Inglese

Official Portal of Tourism of the Province of Rovigo

Golf Courses in Albarella
You are in: Home / Places / Fratta Polesine / Villas
Go Back

Fratta Polesine


Badoer - Patrimonio UNESCO World Heritage Site

Show map »

Still today, the Badoer Villa, known as the Badoera, is the characterizing element of the small Polesine town of Fratta Polesine and is rich in important architectural structures and history.
Whoever arrives here, is pleasantly struck by Villa Badoer, integrated in the town, in harmony with the surrounding environment and enhanced by it. The Fratta Polesine complex is unique, for its precious architecture, gardens, surrounding walls, in its relation with the agricultural landscape. A real jewel, one of the most prestigious villas in Veneto, returned to its original splendour by an expert restoration that today, enables visitors to have a cultural experience of a high level.

It is the first villa where the great architect of Padua, Andrea Palladio, one of the best Italian architects of the 500s, used a pronaos with front gable, the only one present in Polesine territory; it was included, along with the other villas of Palladio in the Veneto, in the UNESCO World Heritage List of important heritage sites for humanity.

The architectonic plant of Villa Badoer was planned and built by Andrea Palladio under commission of the Venetian nobleman, Francesco Badoer. It was built and surely occupied in 1556, and was destined to become the centre of gravity of the great agricultural farm, inherited by Badoer’s wife, Lucietta Loredan, at the death of her brother six years before and is visible evidence of the presence of the Badoer family in the territory.

The coat of arms of alliance between the two families in the pictorial decoration testifies the union of Badoer – Loredan, presupposition for the villa’s construction, erected on the site where a castle once stood.
Very evident is the relation between the Villa and its landscape, emphasised by Andrea Palladio with the elevation of the Villa on a base of “five feet”: from the large main hall the surrounding landscape of fields and old farmsteads can still be made out.

The imposing façade of the central body, designated to be the residence of the noble owners, presents an Ionic order loggia from which it is possible to access, by way of a spectacular flight of stairs, the front garden and the “barchesse”, the rural outbuildings. The columns support a great triangular gable that makes the central part more imposing than the sides. The elegant hemicycle structure of the verandas, placed to hide the outbuildings attached to the villa, the only ones actually realized by Palladio among the many designed, evoke the image of opened arms ready to receive the visitors. In addition to the noble floor designated to be the residence of the owner, the villa has a basement for the service rooms and a garret for the granary.
The interior is most prestigious. The hall walls of the noble floor are covered in frescos of Giallo Fiorentino and represent pastoral scenes, grotesque and mythological allegories, the meanings of which are still obscure. However, experts collocate them in the celebration of the bonds of friendship between the Badoer and Loredan families, in particular, between Francesco Badoer and Giorgio Loredan.

Thanks to its renovation the Villa has been brought back to life, now the centre of various cultural activities, a special venue for exhibitions, conferences, events and entertainment.
Moreover, the northern barchessa of the villa hosts the National Archaeological Museum of Fratta Polesine, which in particular, contains important finds regarding the commercial life and craftsmanship of the village of Frattesina, which was situated near the bank of an ancient branch of the Po river. (XII – X Century BC)

 

THE GARDEN

The Garden probably already existed in the Palladian era and the 17th Century, it was said to have been adorned with citrus vases placed on stone pedestals and along the pond walls of a fish pond. The plan of the garden today, favours the historical phase during which the villa was built and underlines some key aspects such as the relationship with the landscape and with the compositional conventions of architecture, from which it borrows formal rules.


The front garden
The historical element of reference of the project was the front of the villa and the movement of the hemicycles of the two ‘Barchesse’ both dominated by the presence of two ancient magnolias. (2). The lawn areas surrounding the fountains with statues (1) have been redefined to form two regular squares of grass delimited by cobblestoned and trachyte paths.

The rear garden
The secret gardens (3) are places designated to flowering plants and to botanic collections, privileging species and varieties used in gardens of the Sixteenth-Seventeenth-centuries.
The specific choices follow what the botanic Francesco Pona of Verona wrote in the book The Paradise of flowers, or the archetype of gardens (Verona 1622), in which he described the taste of the period for rare flowers and in particular, for their form, fragrance and colour.
The botanic composition of the two gardens includes evergreen shrubs and those of middle growth which maintain their aerial part also throughout the wintertime, planted near bulbous plants and perennial grasses which ensure gradual flowering and colour all year round from springtime through to late autumn.
In order to contain the maintenance of infesting grasses and in place of bark mulching, the plantation of several perennial spreading shrubs was preferred, such as the Carastium tormentosurn and the Thymus serpyllun.
Beyond the boundary of the two secret gardens, formed by a hedge of Buxus semper virens (4), is the rear area, conceived as a geometric space characterised by horizontal lines and by a controlled use of the colour, privileging planes and grassy paths distinguished from each other, only by the different height of the grass. There are three main axes of perspective: the central one (5), highlighting the historical alignment axis of the villa in relation to the landscape, and the other two lateral axes framing the Palladian aedicule (6). The long perspectives are marked by straight rectangular grass stretches, while the main double crossed sections are delimited by a border of Istria stones and by the border of Berberis thumbergii. Inside the lawn is left to grow freely.

The little channel
It is evidence of the passage from the garden to the agricultural landscape. The project redefined the border of the stream in such a way that the relation with the grassy area and the presence of the flowing water becomes evident (8).
At the end of the preliminary historical research, the most interesting thing to emerge was the presence of a walled pond mentioned in records dating back to the middle of the 1600s. The sounding excavations reported the presence of two heavy walls buried under the site which correspond perfectly to the width of the pond, deduced by comparing the historical cartography. The excavation also unearthed, in correspondence with the control dam of the channel, the presence of a brick water cistern and a brick duct to unload the water into the channel situated beyond the enclosing walls. In order to recover the memory of the pond, the lawn area corresponding to the enclosing walls, has been lowered slightly (7).



Key:
1a- Fountain of Neptune
1b-Fountain of Amphitryon
2-Magnolia grandiflora: specimens of tall trunked trees belonging to the first decades of the 20th Century.
3-The Secret Gardens: their shape recalls the labyrinth. All year round a part of these gardens is in bloom.
4- The hedge of Buxus semper virens as an element of separation from the secret gardens.
5- Geometric Garden: the outline of the flowerbeds arises from the scenic relationship with the front of the villa.
6- Palladian aedicules: the perspective reference for the lines of the main paths.
7- Perimeter of the seventeenth-century fish pond, now buried .
8- The little channel: water element which marks the transition from the garden into the agrarian landscape.
 

Information

Opening times:

from 1st March to 31st October: Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays: 10.00-12.30; 15.00-19.00

from 1st November to 28th February:  Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays: 9.30-12.30; 15.00-18.30

Closed: 25 December.  

Opening days and hours may change on the occasion of temporary exhibitions inside the Villa during the year.
 

Possible opening during different days subject to booking.

Tickets:
Full ticket: € 3,00
Reduced-rate ticket: € 1,50 euro (under 18, over 65, FAI members, TCI members  and groups over 25 pax)
Free: children under 6 y.o., handicapped persons and one helper, journalists with card, uniformed soldiers, tour guides with provisional license
Schools: € 1,50 euro (free for teachers)

Ticket price may change on the occasion of temporary exhibitions.

Frattacard

one ticket € 6,00 (validity one year)

to visit the following museums in Fratta Polesine: Villa Badoer, Giacomo Matteotti House Museum, National Archeological Museum.

Guided tours: for individual visitors on Saturdays and Sundays at 11.00 am and at 4 pm
Price: € 3,00 each head 
Visit modalities may change on the occasion of temporary exhibitions  inside the Villa during the year.

Guide service (max 25 pax) subject to booking: Guided tour of  Villa Badoer: € 75,00

School groups (max 25 pax) subject to booking: Guided tour of  Villa Badoer: € 65,00
 

Information, admissions and reservations

Aqua S.r.l.
mob. 366 3240619
e-mail:  info@aqua-deltadelpo.com   info@villabadoer.it



NATIONAL ARCHEOLOGICAL MUSEUM in Fratta Polesine

Opening hours 
8.30 - 19.30


Box office closes at 19.00

Ticket € 3.00


Information
Tel. +39 0425 668523

 



Ca' Cornero

In a bad state conservation; a church in good condition belongs to the complex.
It was built in the XVI century.

Address and locality:
Via Palazzine
45025 Fratta Polesine



Palazzo Campanari now Municipal Seat

Show map »

Fratta Palazzo Campanari

From the second half of the XVIII century, it was the place of dramatic events during the Carbonarist conspiracy. Today, it is the Town Hall and houses an important historical archive.

Address and locality:
Via Giovanni Tasso n°37
45025 Fratta Polesine



Palazzo Villa then Cornoldi now Fanan

Show map »

Fratta Palazzo dei Villa poi Cornoldi

Dated to the first years of the XVIII century, it is characterised by a curved pediment with three pinnacles and a balcony. Inside there are stuccos of the Eighteenth-Century.
The house was the residence of the Carbonarist martyr, Antonio Villa, who was imprisoned here in Spielberg in 1819 and died together with Antonio Oroboni

Address and locality:
Via Ruga n°40
45025 Fratta Polesine



Palazzo Grindati Boniotti Seat of Il Manegium

Show map »

Palazzo Grindati

The stately home was built in the XVI century and has an elongated form on three floors of which the last was used as a granary loft.
The building underwent complete transformation in the XVIII century and later renovations in the XIX century.
The building was donated by the Boniotti heirs, to the cultural and research Association ‘The Manegium’, a voluntary group that carries out historical and artistic, archeological and ethnographic research in the territory, which was called ‘Manegium’ in ancient times.

Address and locality:
Via Riviera Scolo Valdentro, 11
45025 Fratta Polesine



Villa Bellettato

Villa Bellettato

The villa is situated near Fratta Polesine town, along the left side of the river.
Built by the architect Vincenzo Bellettato * it is considered one of the most precious examples of eighteenth - century architecture in the region, as still attested by the window frames, by the central pattern of the two semi columns surmounted by the tympanum and by the care with which the entrance portal is evidenced. The Villa rises on two floors plus the garret. The building is listed for its historical – architectonical value and is inserted amongst the villas in Polesine catalogued by the Regional Villas Institute: * The noble building is the work of architect Vincenzo Bellettato of Fratta, the famous author of the rebuilding of the Old Seminar (1720) and of the completion of the Duomo of S. Stefano in Rovigo.
“The Villa of Fratta Polesine must be considered to have been built between the end of the Seventeenth Century and the beginning of the Eighteenth; still evident in the villa, more so than in the works of Rovigo, is a satisfied indulgence in the more intricate Baroque styles. This indulgence will be tempered in Bellettato - as well as in many other eighteenth-century architects – under the renewed strength of Palladio’s influence which will soon lead to Neo-classicism”
Antonio Canova - Polesine Villas



Villa Davi'

Villa Davi

Its façade recalla the Venetian palazzos with lateral loggias on the noble floor. Of the original building are the barchesse and an oratory. Built in the late XVII century and rebuilt in the Nineteenth Century, it was the residence of the Carbonaro patriot, Domenico Davì.

Address and locality:
Via Campagna Vecchia
45025 Fratta Polesine



Dolfin Villa now Divine Provvidence's Home

Fratta Villa Dolfin

It has an harmonious façade with superimposed columns and a dormer window surmounted by a tympanum with lateral arches. It has a central staircase and some barchesse. It once had an agricultural function. It was built in the first half of the XXVIII century; here, at the beginning of the last century, Beato Luigi Guanella founded the most important charity work in Polesine.

Address and locality:
Via .L. Ganella
45025 Fratta Polesine



Villa Grimani Molin now Avezzu'

Show map »

Fratta Villa Grimani Molin ora Avezzu

Of Palladian influence, it presents stylistic connections with the “Baoera Villa”. The frescos in the interior are considered to be of the Giallo Fiorentino school.
It was built in the middle of the XVI century. To be recalled is the dinner that took place the 11th November 1818, offered by Cecilia Monti d’Arnaud, during which the ‘Italian cause’ was toasted. It was the beginning of events that involved the Polesine Carbonarist movement, one of the most tragic chapters in the town’s history.

Address and locality
Via Zabarella n°1
45025 Fratta Polesine



Villa Labia

Show map »

Villa Labia

Of the original building only one small and elegant oratory remains. The present day villa, rebuilt after a bombing in 1945, became the secondary school ‘A. Palladio’. Of considerable importance is the villa’s park with many age-old trees.

Address and locality
Via Roma
45025 Fratta Polesine



Villa Matteotti

Show map »

Fratta_Villa_Matteotti

Here the socialist deputy Giacomo Matteotti spent his youth, murdered by the fascists the 10th June 1924. The villa dated XVIII century, belongs to the Accademia dei Concordi foundation of Rovigo, and it is e the seat of the museum-home. Open on Saturdays and Sundays from  15.00 to 18.30.

Address and locality
Via Ruga
45025 Fratta Polesine



Villa Monti now Viaro

Built at the end of the XVII century, here in the Nineteenth Century the brothers Giovanni and Giacomi Monti, Carbonari, lived. Here also, another Giovanni Monti was born, an acrobatic pilot, winner of many races, crashed with his plane into the Garda lake 1931.

Address and locality
Via Beato Luigi Guanella
45025 Fratta Polesine



Villa Oroboni

Show map »

Villa Oroboni

It was the residence in the nineteenth-century of the Carbonaro Antonio Oroboni who died in the Spielberg and is commemorated on a memorial plaque of the façade. There was also a small Oratory of G. Lista in the tombs of which, some documents of the Carbonari entrusted from Villa to Oroboni were hidden.

Address and locality:
Riviera Scolo
45025 Fratta Polesine