Italiano  Inglese

Official Portal of Tourism of the Province of Rovigo

Pontoon bridge - Gorino
You are in: Home / Places / Ceneselli
Go Back

Ceneselli



Visualizza Ceneselli in una mappa di dimensioni maggiori

Ceneselli

A small yet pleasant town, which developed around the parish church of S. Maria Annunziata designed by the architects Giovanni and Antonio Santini from Ferrara in 1721, embellished on the exterior by four worthy statues.  The interior, of central cross-shaped plan with marble floors, houses paintings of the Emilian school such as L’Annunciazione alla Beata Vergine (end of XVII century) attributed to Giacomo Parolini together with the Apparizione di Sant’Antonio (beginning of XVIII century) and the Estasi di San Francesco d’Assisi, painted by Stefano Fegatelli (beginning of XVIII century).

The most significant work for the inhabitants of Ceneselli is the statue of the Madonna del Parto, particularly venerated by the community.  The statue belongs to the production of polychrome terracotta artefacts which were particularly common in Emilia between the XV and the XVI centuries.  This ancient technique found fertile terrain and suitable materials in the clay brought by the rivers into our land.

In the square also stands the Town Hall building built in the XIV century during Austrian Rule.

On leaving the town centre, in the direction of Castelmassa, the beautiful Villa Peretti appears among the secular trees of its park.  It was commissioned by Cardinal Peretti, from the Marche, who in 1585 became pope with the name of Sisto V.  The sixteenth century volume of the building was enlarged in the 700s with an elegant double loggia with three arches, whilst inside, one may admire the delightful frescos of Baldassarri which decorate the guest room.