Italiano  Inglese

Official Portal of Tourism of the Province of Rovigo

View of the porch and stairway of the Municipality of Rovigo
You are in: Home / Places / Castelmassa
Go Back

Castelmassa



Visualizza Castelmassa in una mappa di dimensioni maggiori

Castelmassa

An old edition of the famous book “Don Camillo” by Giovannino Guareschi, depicts Piazza Libertà on its cover, which with its elegant porticos and the buildings that surround it, is one of the many attractions of Castelmassa. The oratory of SS. Nome di Maria, designed by Gennari, nephew and pupil of Guercino and the lovely church of S.Stefano with its elegant loggia of orders placed one on top of the other. From the square the steps that lead to the riverbank are visible. In this section the course of the river broadens leaving space for the ample flood-plains where poplar is cultivated and a millenary island covered in dense vegetation. Whoever visits Castelmassa will hear mention of the “Fecula”, the name given to the large factory around which the town was developed.

This industry is specialised in the processing of maize and has been the driving force of the local economy for 60 years. The same can be said for the production of artistic handicrafts thanks to the renowned “Scuola di Arti e Mestieri” (School of Arts and Crafts”) founded in 1890. Among the local events is the ancient Fiera di San Martino, held on the second Sunday of November. During this fair, one may sample “Pane di S. Martino” which is made with chestnut flour, maize flour, brewer’s yeast and nuts, a perfect accompaniment to cold meats or sausages, as well as the traditional paper bag of hot chestnuts.